Friday, April 17, 2009

Freaky Friday

Ok so I'm participating in Adriana's Freaky Friday postings. If you need details or want to read other stories go here.

Ok this happened to me about 9 years ago.

I was out of town one weekend and on Monday morning when I was getting ready to head home my mom called and told me that Grandpa was really sick and she was heading out to go see him. She told me that it would be a good idea to head to where he lived to see him too. I was 4 hours out from where my Grandpa lived. He was in an assisted living center and had been having some issues with his health. I arrived at the assisted living place and my mom and soon to be stepdad (which I will call my stepdad for easier story telling sake) where already there sitting by his bed. My Grandpa was sleeping. We sat there and talked and by early evening I decided to head home with my Stepdad. My mom stayed behind so that she could be with him. I hugged my Grandpa goodbye and left. When we got to the car my Stepdad said that my Grandpa opened his eyes and knew it was me hugging him. I called my sister on the way home and we planned on coming back the next day to see my Grandpa.
When I got home I was so exhausted from the emotionally draining day. I was home alone. I went to bed that night and slept with my door open since I was alone. I remember waking up at 5:15am and seeing a tall and broad dark shadow in the door way. I jumped out of bed and turned on every light upstairs in the house. I went and sat on my mom's bed and cried. All I could think about was my Grandpa, he was 6'3" with broad shoulders. I knew the shadow was my Grandpa. At about 5:30am my mom called and told me that Grandpa passed away 15minutes ago. She said that she was sleeping in the chair next to his bed and felt the blanket slip off her shoulder and felt as if someone was touching her shoulder. She woke up and grabbed her stethoscope and went to my Grandpa's bedside to listen to his heart and lungs. She heard him take a deep breath and then he was gone. This was at 5:15am. She said that she called my Stepdad and he told her he was up because he woke up at 5:15am.
I told my mom that was very freaky but I'm glad that I got to see him yesterday and I'm glad that he got to see me. I then called my sister and brother and told them the news.
I think it was great that he came to say goodbye.

1 comment:

  1. Things like this you don't know whether to be freaked out or comforted. Thanks for participating!

    ReplyDelete